Posted: Oct 12, 2021
Santa Clara (5-11, 1-5) at Portland (4-11, 1-5)
- Santa Clara, coming off its first West Coast Conference win of the season, makes its annual trek to the Northwest to face Portland and Gonzaga. The Broncos, who swept San Francisco at home on Saturday, will face the Pilots on Thursday before a matchup at Gonzaga on Saturday.
- Portland has dropped five straight since opening conference play with a 3-0 win over Gonzaga on Sept. 25.
- Four of Santa Clara's losses have come against top 25 foes (Oregon, Pepperdine, BYU, San Diego).
- Two of the program's setbacks in WCC play occurred in five sets - to Pepperdine at home (Sept. 25) and at Saint Mary's (Sept. 28).
- Santa Clara closed out nonconference play with a 3-0 win over Oregon State at the Boise State Classic on Sept. 17, for their second sweep of the season (also vs. Nevada, Sept. 3).
- The Broncos rank fourth in the conference in kills per set (12.38) and fifth in hitting percentage (.221).
- Julia Sangiacomo (3.63) and Michelle Shaffer (3.38) rank fifith and eighth, respectively, in the WCC in kills per set.
- Kat Georgiadis leads the conference at 4.31 digs per set.
- Anna Stucchi (0.43) and Shaffer (0.39) rank fifth and eighth, respectively, in the WCC in service aces per set.
- Nive Tuileta (9.67) ranks fourth in the league in assists per set.
- Santa Clara leads the all-time series, 58-13. The Broncos won both meetings in the spring during the postponed 2020 season, but the teams split the previous eight matchups. The first meeting between the programs occurred in 1979.
CONNECT WITH THE BRONCOS ON SOCIAL MEDIA