Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Official website of the Santa Clara broncos

Licensing & Trademarks

Santa Clara's policies for use of logos & trademarks

Licensing Resource Center

Collegiate Licensing Co.
Labor Code Document (PDF)
Dept. Royalty Waiver Form (PDF)
RSO Royalty Waiver Form (PDF)
SCU Office of Communications & Marketing
SCU Restricted Licensees (PDF)
SCU Standard Licensees (PDF)
SCU Local Licensees (PDF)
SCU Licensees by Product (PDF)

Why Have A Licensing Program?
A trademark licensing program gives the University control over its logos and marks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus wide. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers who work with the University.

What Qualifies As A Trademark?
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark. A list of the University's trademarks is available through Collegiate Licensing Company or Santa Clara University's Office of Marketing & Communications.

What Products Can Be Licensed?
Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University's Licensing Director. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Licensing Director. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and, ensures the non-approval of potentially hazardous items.

Who Needs A License?
Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license.

What If You Do Not Get A License?
All products must be approved by the University's Office of Marketing & Communications. Any one using the University marks with out first obtaining a license may be subject to a civil lawsuit.

Can An Alumni Or Student Group Sell Products Using The University's Marks As A Fundraiser?
Before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the Office of Marketing & Communications or select the local licensed vendor list link to the right. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

What About Using The University's Name Or Logo On A Web Site?
Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the Trademark Licensing Office. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control it's name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact the University's Office of Marketing & Communications.

Who is responsible for the program?
The person responsible for the Trademark Licensing Program at Santa Clara University is:

Patti Samuelson
Santa Clara University
Office of Marketing & Communications
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053
408/554-5119 or Fax: 408/554-5464

How Can You Obtain A License Application?
Anyone who wishes to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a license application. This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc. Applications can be obtained by contacting:

The Collegiate Licensing Company
1075 Peachtree Street, Suite 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309
Phone: 770-956-0520  Fax: 770-955-4491

Denise Lamb
Senior Director, Partner Services
Collegiate Licensing Company
Phone: 406-360-4628

Second point of contact:
Susie Galbraith
Partner Services Representative
Collegiate Licensing Company
Phone: 928-287-4919

What Is The Collegiate Licensing Company?
The Collegiate Licensing Company is the licensing representative for the University. As the University's representative, CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.

Who Is Licensed With The University?
Either the Office of Marketing & Communications, Media Relations in the Athletics Department or CLC can provide a list of current licensees for the University's merchandise. It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University and CLC can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the right company.

The "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label signifies merchandise has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and a portion of the purchase is returned to the University.

What Are The University's Trademarks?
The University's trademarks are any of the logos, marks, symbols, nicknames, letter(s) or word(s). Any design that could cause public confusion due to similarity to the trademarks appearing on this page is an infringement on the University's trademark rights.